SIGN UP AND START TRACKING YOUR READING MINUTES ON DEC. 19!
Read for 300,000!
Help us reach our community reading goal of 300,000 minutes and we’ll add a lawn game – that you help choose – to the library collection! Beginning Dec. 19, stop into the library and vote for one lawn game.
- Ladder Toss
- Slam Ball
- Giant Kick Croquet
For more information, call (920) 236-5205 (adults & teens) or (920) 236-5208 (children).
Wild Winter Read Off
Dec.19, 2022 – Feb. 25, 2023
- I want to track my reading online
- Download the Children's Reading Log
- Download the Children's Book Review Form
- Download the Teen's Reading Log
- Download the Teen's Bonus Reading Logs
- Download the Adult's Reading Log
- Paper reading logs are available at the library's service desks.
Read for fun and prizes all winter!
Preschool – 5th Grade
When you read 120 minutes, 240 minutes, and 360 minutes, you can spin the wheel at the Children's Service Desk! What can you win? Books, superhero masks, buttons and more! There are bonus doing and writing badges that will earn you an extra wheel spin.
Doing Activity Badge
Complete two of the following activities to earn this badge.
- Attend a library program in January or February
- Check out a board game from the library and play with your family.
- Drink some cocoa while reading
- Pick up and do our monthly STEAM kit
- Build a snowman or snow fort.
Writing & Drawing Activity Badge
Complete two of the following to earn this badge. An adult may write responses for a child.
- Pick up a book review form, write up a review and drop it in the box at the Children’s Desk to be entered for a special prize!
- Read a book by Dean Robbins and write down two things you learned.
- Write: a story about one of your everyday heroes.
- Draw a picture of your favorite winter activity.
- Draw a new cover for your favorite book.
Ages 13 - 17
Read 200 minutes to earn a goodie bag with treats and prizes. Log additional minutes for a chance to win gift cards, autographed books, and more!
We’re challenging you to read 1,000 minutes this winter to help us reach our community reading goal of 300,000 minutes! At 200, 400, and 600 minutes read you win a free book/DVD/CD from our used bookstore. Keep on reading, though, because every 200 minutes you read, you earn a raffle ticket to win one of four $50 Kwik Trip gift cards. Plus, the first 30 readers who complete their 1,000-minute reading goal and show their log to the 2nd floor reference desk will win a double-walled cool cup or tumbler!
As a bonus, you can complete Read Harder Badge and Read Broader Badge that challenge you to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and broaden your reading horizons. Each badge will earn you additional raffle ticket to the gift card drawing.
Logging Badges (200 min increments: 200, 400, 600, 800, & 1000)
Badges for 200, 400, & 600 minutes denote Free Book/DVD/CD Prize.
Read Harder Badge
Push yourself outside your comfort zone! Read something matching one of these four challenging categories to earn this badge.
1. Read a challenged or banned book.
2. Read a book recommended by a friend with different reading tastes.
3. Read an award-winning book for a topic and year of your choice.
4. Read a poetry or short story anthology.
Read Broader Badge
Broaden your reading horizons! Read something within one of these four categories to earn this badge.
1. Read a nonfiction book about another country.
2. Read an autobiography, biography, or memoir.
3. Read a book from a genre you don’t usually read.
4. Read a book where the main character is ~the same age.
Special events for families
Space is limited for Mad Science’s Wacky Winter Program and children’s book author Dean Robbins’s visit. Please call (920) 236-5208 or visit the Children’s Department to register.
Mad Science of Milwaukee
Wacky Winter Program
Have a blast with the world’s coolest scientists from Mad Science of Milwaukee! Use your scientific magic to help Frosty get through the door after one too many cookies. Watch a snowman defrost right before your eyes. And discover how Jack Frost can fill an eight-foot air bag with one breath!
SAT | Jan. 21 | 10:30 a.m. | Ages 5 and older | Lower Level
Author Dean Robbins is coming to visit!
Learn more about Dean Robbins at deanrobbins.net/about
As a child, Dean Robbins fell in love with Mighty Mouse and Superman, dressing up in superhero costumes and vowing to save the world. He later realized that, even though he would never have X-ray vision or be able to fly, he could still be a superhero!
Dean Robbins’s funny, interactive presentation introduces kids to the everyday superheroes and extraordinary people he writes about in his books.
SAT | Feb. 25 | 10:30 a.m. | Ages 5 and older | Lower Level